If you have one or more missing teeth or if your teeth are damaged beyond repair, then you may be wondering what solutions are out there for fixing your smile.
A dental bridge can help mask the missing teeth and restore your bite and smile. But, is a dental bridge the right solution for you? Let's find out!
What You Need to Know About Dental Bridges
As the name suggests, a dental bridge is a medical device that "bridges" the gap between one or more missing teeth.
Dental bridges come in different types, such as:
- Traditional Dental Bridge - This is the most common type of bridge where the device is applied to the sides of the missing teeth.
- Maryland Dental Bridges - This type of bridge comes with a metal structure that is attached to the back of the teeth for better support.
- Implant-Supported Bridge - First, the dentist will insert an implant for each of your missing teeth and then attach the bridge.
Should You Get a Dental Bridge?
Let's examine the pros and cons of getting dental bridges:
- Since they are less invasive and complex than implants, dental bridges are less expensive too.
- The process of getting dental bridges is simpler too. If in the case of dental implants you may require bone grafting to strengthen your jaw before the implant can be inserted, this procedure is not necessary for bridges.
- If you still have some healthy teeth, bridges are better and feel more natural than dentures, for example. Dentures have to be attached directly to the gums, while the bridges will use the remaining teeth as support.
- Bridges don't offer the same support like an implant and don't stimulate the jaw bone the same way. If you've already been experiencing bone density loss because of missing teeth, bridges can't help improve this problem.
- The teeth that the bridge will be attached to will have to be trimmed. That means that you will have to shave a good chunk of enamel off some perfectly healthy teeth.
- Bridges don't last forever as opposed to implants. But with proper dental care and regular dentist visits, you can prolong their lifespan.
Not Sure If Dental Bridges Are for You? We Can Help You Find the Best Solution!
If you have one or more missing teeth and are looking for the best solution for restoring your smile and your bite, then you should come to visit our Simpsonville dental office. We will examine your mouth and oral health and come up with a plan that is sure to fit your unique needs. You will receive dental care in a warm, friendly, and compassionate environment and from a team of doctors who are extremely focused on providi–ng a superior experience.
Head on to our website and fill out the online contact form to book your appointment.